Wednesday 30 September 2009

Strong Coffee: My Midnight Muse

I needed to stay awake. The aches and pains that come after sleeping in a chair are almost as painful as the unforgiving cough that forced me to sit up all night - in forced exile - in the first place.

Nights can be so long too. Luckily, I was awake enough to read through the Appledore Book Festival events list. It was then that I came to realize just how many wonderful speakers and events I'd missed. Not because I didn't want to listen to them, but because there just wasn't enough time. Please forgive me:
Have I Got (Devon) News For You, Peter Christie, Gardeners Question Time, David Carter, Tanya Landman, Victoria Glendenning, Jazz Evening, Tania Crosse, Charlie Elder, Sam Llewellyn and Commander Ade Orchard, RN.


Charles Kingsley Called Appledore a "Little White Fishing Village." With its crazy maze of narrow streets and little fishermen's cottages dating back to the Elizabethan age, it surely is a living, breathing picture-postcard community.


A Few Of Appledore's Poetic Street Names. (As they arrived at 5 am.)


Odun Place
summons
Irsha Street

Pitt Hill
descends
The Path


Long Lane
surveys
Marine Parade

Backfield
circumnavigates
The Quay


One End Street
jabbers
Churchill Way

Yeo Drive
remembers
Primrose Lane


Staddon Road
calling
Bude Street

The Mount
on
Western Avenue


Vernons Lane
asks
Myra Court

Tomouth Road
tries
Mariners Way


Alpha Place
chooses
Meeting Street

Gibbs Lane
marches
Torridge Road


Kingsley Avenue
strolling
Whitehouse Lane

Myrtle Street
loves
Ivy Court


Scott Avenue
sings
Jubilee Road

Green Lane
shouts
Polywell!



Eccentrically.
Colin.
www.inclusifolk.com

Photo by Linda Shaddick.

No comments:

Post a Comment